Kale Citrus Salad is a colorful yet refreshing salad that can be served with grilled shrimp for extra protein.
I originally saw this Kale Citrus Salad recipe on Food Network’s Snapchat Discover Channel where the Pioneer Woman was demonstrating the recipe. The beautiful color and flavorful ingredients inspired me to re-create it.
Kale Salad is something most people order in restaurants but haven’t gotten it right at home yet. The trick to delicious kale salad at home is to massage the kale, literally. You have to shred or chop, rinse, then take a little bit of olive oil and sprinkle it over the kale before you massage it with your clean hands. Doing this helps make the kale tender and gives it a little workout. You must try this if you love kale salads. Confused? See more here.
Goat cheese is tangy and is a nice balance to the jalapeno that goes in this salad. If you do not like heat then just leave the jalapeno out. The creamy salad dressing works best if your kale is very dry and not still wet from rinsing.
Kale Citrus Salad
- 1 bunch kale, leaves torn off stalks, rinsed and dried
- 1/2 cup orange segments, from one orange
- 1 small jalapeno (or half), seeded and diced very thin
- 4 ounces of goat cheese, crumbled
For the dressing:
- juice of another orange, about 1/4 cup
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon plain greek yogurt
- salt and pepper to taste
- Remove the kale from the stalk, shred or tear the kale into small pieces. Rinse and put aside to dry.
- In a small mason jar put the juice of 1 orange, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon sugar, salt and pepper. Put the lid on and shake vigorously. Once combined add the greek yogurt and shake until nice and creamy.
- When ready to serve kale drizzle additional 1 tablespoon olive oil over the kale in serving bowl. With clean hands massage the kale. You will notice the leaves will darken and begin to shrink.
- When ready to serve take half of the dressing and drizzle over kale. Add the jalapeno, orange segments. Take a fork and break the goat cheese into chunks and toss it into the salad.
- Serve immediately.
If desired you can serve this recipe with shrimp for extra protein. Chickpeas would also make a nice addition.
Want more clean eating ideas? See here: