Shrimp and Clam Scampi is an easy yet impressive dish that comes together in less than 30 minutes. This will taste like it was from your favorite restaurant.
Why I love this Shrimp and Clam Scampi
My local super market has an excellent fish department where I was able to find the Vongole clams and cleaned shrimp. Shrimp Scampi traditionally has only shrimp, however, I am such a fan of Vongole that I decided to add clams to this dish. You will be surprised how quickly this Shrimp and Clam Scampi recipe comes together.
The ingredients for this dish are very simple. At first glance you may think there won’t be much flavor but you will be surprised at how much your family will love this dish. The main ingredients are shrimp, clams, lemon juice, garlic, parsley and butter. I used Linguine for this Shrimp and Clam Scampi recipe which is high in carbohydrates. You can try substituting zucchini noodles for a low-carb version of this dish.
Let the clams cook in the sauce which adds extra flavor to the Shrimp and Clam Scampi.
With Valentine’s Day coming up next week I would love it if someone made me this dish. Serve the Shrimp and Clam Scampi with a side salad, who wouldn’t be happy? If you are not a seafood person try these Red-Wine Braised Short Ribs.
Shrimp and Clam Scampi
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons oil
5 large garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
3/4 pound shrimp cleaned and tails removed
1 1/2 dozen vongole clams (about 18)
1 cup pasta water
1 bag baby spinach
2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
Juice of 2 lemons (1/4 cup)
Pinch of red pepper flake
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper
- Soak the clams in cold water for 20 minutes before cooking to remove the dirt.
- In a large pot bring water,1 tablespoon salt and a splash of olive oil to a boil. Put the pasta in the boiling water as the garlic is sauting, cook pasta according to package about 6 minutes. Reserve 1 cup pasta water as the pasta begins to cook
- Meanwhile, in a large 12 inch heavy bottomed pan, melt 3 tablespoons butter and add 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the chopped garlic. Sauté and let cook for 1 minute or until fragrant (don’t let it burn)! Add the shrimp and season with salt and pepper, cook for 2 1/2 minutes. Flip (season other side) and add the clams with the 1 cup of reserved pasta water as well as the package of fresh baby spinach. Cover and let cook another 3 minutes until clams have opened and spinach has wilted.
- Remove from heat and add the lemon juice, red pepper flake and parsley. Add the drained pasta to the pan directly followed by the Parmesan cheese. Toss the pasta in the sauce until evenly mixed. Serve immediately.
- Garnish with additional parsley and sliced lemons.
Adapted from Food Network
Be sure to cook your pasta to al dente or even a little under because you will finish the pasta in the sauce.
Seasoning your pasta water is also a hidden secret of cooking excellent pasta – it should be very salty.