Twice Baked Red Potatoes with Bacon are crispy yet creamy stuffed with caramelized onions and cheddar cheese – the perfect party appetizer or side dish.
These mini Twice Baked Red Potatoes with bacon are a delicious and fun way to serve potatoes. These are medium sized potatoes but you could also use the mini potatoes for bite sized servings. Stuff them however you like – sour cream, green onion, leave out the bacon or just keep it simple!
See picture above before the cheese gets ooey gooey and the skin gets crispy.
Twice Baked Red Potatoes with Bacon
- 6 medium sized red potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3 pieces of bacon, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place potatoes on a baking sheet and cook for 40 minutes until tender.
- Remove from oven and let cool until you can handle them. Make a small hole on the top of the potato with a spoon and scoop out the inside of the potato into a medium bowl. Careful not to rip the skin or scoop to deep.
- Meanwhile, in a cast iron skillet brown the bacon for about 5 minutes. Add the onion and continue to cook until the onions are slightly browned and the bacon is brown and crisp (10-15 minutes more).
- Lower oven to 375 if serving right away. Add salt, pepper and garlic powder to the reserved inside of the potato and mash until smooth, careful not to overwork. Lastly add half of the onion-bacon mixture and including some of the fat (no extra butter will be added) and a pinch of cheddar cheese. Reserve the rest of the bacon-onion for topping.
- Spoon the mixture into the potatoes until filled. Garnish with additional bacon-onion mixture and more cheddar cheese. You can also add sour cream and green onion or chives if desired.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until cheese is melted and the potatoes are warmed through. Enjoy!
Craving more Super Bowl Sunday Food Ideas?