Banana Oatmeal Muffins with Chia Seeds – UPDATED. This recipe was originally posted in February 2015, however, I remade the recipe since and wanted to share the results!
These muffins are made with very simple ingredients and do not have any added eggs, flour or butter. Oatmeal and banana are the main ingredients and this results in a very healthy muffin. I added chocolate chips to add a little sweetness (chocolate chips make everything better)!
If you did not have chia seeds you could also use flax seeds. I sprinkled flax seeds on top of these muffins because I ran out of chia seeds. You can also add shredded coconut or nuts to the batter and it will be delicious!
Banana Oatmeal Muffins with Chia Seeds
- 2 cups of old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt ( I used vanilla it was all I had)
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds +1 for topping the muffins before baking
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips + 1 tablespoon for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and prepare 1 muffin tray by spraying well with non-stick spray or use cupcake liners.
- Add the oats, bananas, greek yogurt, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and baking soda to a food processor. Blend well until the batter is smooth and creamy to break down the oats. Stir in 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips per hand.
- Pour batter into muffin pan about 3/4 of the way full in each muffin. I used a cookie scoop (it was about 2 even scoops per muffin). Sprinkle with leftover teaspoon of chia seeds and the extra chocolate chips.
- Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes. Mine were done in 15 minutes. Test it by using a toothpick in the middle of the muffin and make sure it comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool for 5-10 minutes before removing from muffin pan.
- Store in a container with a lid and enjoy these delicious muffins for breakfast or snacks!
See original post here: Banana Oatmeal Muffins with Chia Seeds and Chocolate Chips from February 2015.
This was almost one year ago – time flies!
Not a fan of oatmeal in your muffins? Try the recipe to my Mini Banana Bread Loafs below.
Mini Banana Bread Loafs