Asian Meatball Appetizer is a super easy twist on a traditional meatballs with flavors such as ginger, garlic and green onion.
Asian Meatball Appetizer make a great family party recipe or could even be served over quinoa with bok choy as a quick dinner option! So basically I am a fan of any meatball. I don’t know what it is but meatballs to me equal comfort food. Here I decided to take a traditional meatball and give it a sweet asian twist! Maybe you like meatballs too, if so try my Turkey Meatballs or Zoodles “Zucchini Noodles” and Meatballs
The pork and beef makes this recipe come together very easily! It also allows for a juicy yet tasty meatball that will have a lot of flavor from the ginger, garlic and green onions. To keep these warm you can make the sauce and bake the meatballs then throw it in the slow cooker until you are ready to serve. This is what I did and it worked perfectly! Oven space can be limited when we are entertaining and this Asian Meatball Recipe solves that problem.
Asian Meatball Appetizer
A super easy twist on a traditional meatballs with flavors such as ginger, garlic and green onion.
For the meatballs:
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup panko
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic finely diced
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
For the sauce:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl combine the pork, beef, panko, egg yolks, green onion, garlic, ginger and soy sauce. Mix until well combined careful not to over work the mixture. Shape balls into desired size (I used about 1 inch). Place meatballs on a baking sheet until golden brown and cooked through; about 20-25 minutes.
- While meatballs are cooking whisk together corn starch and 1/4 cup water; set aside.
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat add the soy sauce, honey, ginger, garlic powder, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, hoisin and 1 cup water; bring to a simmer. Once simmering stir in the corn starch mixture and wait for the sauce to thicken/reduce (should coat the back of a spoon).
- Serve meatballs with sauce and garnish with green onion and sesame seeds. If need to keep warm then put in slow cooker on warm or low until ready to serve.
Taste the asian sauce to make sure it is not to sweet or sweet enough for your family.
My nephew loved these meatballs (he is 5 years old).
If desired use your favorite Store Bought Teriyaki Sauce and mix with Homemade Meatballs.