Thanksgiving Leftovers: Turkey and Green Bean Pot Pie
Now that all the Thanksgiving festivities have come to an end the real question is: what do we do with all that food!?!? The cooking and prepping that goes into the meal is time consuming so don’t let your leftover Green Bean Casserole go to waste.
This recipe could not be any easier if you have leftover turkey and green bean casserole from Thanksgiving or any holiday! All you need is a pre-made pie crust or puff pastry and you have yourself a recycled delicious second day dinner. If you want to make this lighter you can use 1 pie crust on top and go crust-less on the bottom of the pan.
Turkey and Green Bean Pot Pie
A Thanksgiving leftover recipe using turkey and green bean casserole to transform them into a pot pie.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stocks, diced
- 4 cups leftover Green Bean Casserole, chopped (sauce included)
- 2 cups chopped leftover turkey
- 1/2 cup chicken or turkey stock
- splash of whole milk
- 2 store bought pie crusts
- 1 egg, splash of water, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large saute pan heat 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Once hot add the diced carrots and celery, let cook until softened about 7-10 minutes
- While vegetables are cooking chop your leftover green bean casserole and turkey, set aside.
- Once the carrot and celery are softened stir in your cold leftover green bean casserole scraping the mushroom sauce into the pan. This should heat up quickly, add the chicken stock, diced turkey and a splash of milk. Let the mixture simmer and adjust seasoning (pinch of salt, fresh black pepper). Remove from heat and put aside.
- In a pie dish or a casserole dish spray non-stick spray and unroll the pie dough over the top pressing into the bottom of the pan ( you may need to trim extra or roll it down). With a fork lightly pierce the bottom of the dough. Spread the turkey green bean mixture into the pan and flatten. Roll out the remaining pie crust and place on top, try to pinch together the top and the bottom.
- Make slits on the pie crust to let the steam escape and brush on the egg wash to help the crust brown.
- Bake for 30 minutes and let sit for 10 before serving.
The reason this recipe works is because the of the sauce from the Green Bean Casserole. If you do not have a creamy mushroom sauce in your green bean casserole then the results of this recipe will be different.
Enjoy your homemade Turkey and Green Bean Pot Pie with a smile because you just finished all your Thanksgiving leftovers! I love this recipe though because you don’t feel like your eating leftovers and the Homemade Green Bean Casserole I prepared for Thanksgiving made the perfect sauce for the pot pie. It took very little work to put together, which is always a good thing.
I hope you all had a lovely Thanksgiving and now it’s time to start preparing for the next set of holidays to come!
Don’t forget to follow me on social media, I love to see what you are posting!