Fall Slow Cooker Beef Stew has classic stew ingredients such as carrots, potatoes and peas but also big flavor thanks to the addition of red wine.
With the temperature dropping it’s the perfect opportunity to make this Fall Slow Cooker Beef Stew. Filled with fall vegetables such as parsnip, carrots, potatoes, rosemary, peas and red wine. It was in the 40’s in New York this past weekend! BURR!
Can you believe that it is already the third week in October? Time is flying and I hope you have been taking advantage of using your slow-cooker and making stews. Earlier this month I made a Roasted Poblano Chili that I have yet to share with you guys that was awesome! I would love to see your favorite fall recipes in the comments below.
Making it Easier
Browning the meat gives the Fall Slow Cooker Beef Stew a lot of flavor and locks the juices into the meat before it goes into the slow-cooker. The addition of wine gives the sauce a rich yet bold flavor, you only need a cup so you can buy a bottle that you like to drink and add it to the sauce. There are also two versions of this recipe. Although browning the meat and sautéing the onions might seem like a lot of work I believe it is worth it. If you wish to skip all the steps listed you can just simply throw it into the crockpot and wait for it to cook!
Fall Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- 1-2 pounds cubed stew meat
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 carrots, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 celery, diced
- 1 parsnip diced
- 6-8 small potatoes or 2 large, about 1 pound
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped rosemary
- 2-3 cups beef broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Salt and pepper to taste
- If your meat is to big cube it again and toss it with 1/4 cup of flour to lightly coat, season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet with 1 tablespoon oil and brown the meat for about 2-3 minutes on each side. You may have to work in batches to avoid overcrowding and steaming.
- Once all meat is browned set aside and turn the pan down to melding-low add the chopped onions, carrots and celery and sauté until softened, season with salt and pepper. Lastly add the garlic to avoid burning.
- Deglaze the pan with 1 cup of wine and let reduce by half, while reducing add mustard and Rosemary.
- Put the browned meat in the slow cooker and pour the wine-onion mixture over the meat. Add the potatoes and remaining ingredients. Lastly pour the beef broth start with 2 cups, add more if necessary.
- Turn the slow cooker on low 8-10 hours or high for 4-6 hours. When the meat is tender and the sauce has come together it is done.
- If your stew is not thick enough take our 1/2 cup of liquid from slow cooker and whisk with 1-2 tablespoons of flour adding more if needed. Then add the flour sauce mixture into slow cooker and cook for additional 30 minutes. In the last 30 minutes add the peas.
Want to see more Fall Inspiration? Follow my Pinterest Boards Fall Recipes and Soup by clicking the link below!