Warm baked eggs in avocado topped with bacon bits or garnish of choice, this is a very versatile dish. High in protein and omega-3’s to keep you going all morning long!
Its been a while since I posted a breakfast recipe. In fact, the last one was Bell Pepper Egg In a Hole which was in the beginning of September. Can you believe it’s already going to be October? Well now that it has officially cooled down I am okay with turning on the oven to make breakfast. This Baked Egg in Avocado is a great reason to turn on the oven.
I think it’s safe to say I am on board with cooking eggs in a hole trend. Why not use an avocado this time which is a great source of Omega-3’s, high protein and fiber filled! When you bake the avocado it becomes slightly warmed through with a smokey essence and is the perfect hole for an egg to be cooked in.
These are really easy to make and ascetically appealing, however, I would suggest making them on a weekend or a day when you have more time. Baked Egg in Avocado would make a great brunch item! No matter how much time I have in the morning I have it is hard for me to turn on the oven and start baking when I am running out the door.
That being said it is totally worth it to take the time to make this recipe, at least one time! See what all the fuss is about and decide for yourself. P.S. It’s paleo friendly!!
Baked Egg in Avocado
- 2 eggs
- 1 avocado
- 3 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno, finely diced optional
- salt & pepper
- paprika (if not using jalapeno)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Halve the avocado and take out the pit. Scoop out about two tablespoons of flesh out of each side or just enough for the egg to fit snugly inside the avocado.
- Place the avocado on a small baking dish. If they wobble around make a tinfoil bed to keep steady.
- Season with salt and pepper. If using diced jalapeno sprinkle on the inside of the avocado. Crack the egg in the middle carefully. Season again with salt and pepper.
- Place in oven for 15 to 20 minutes just long enough for whites to set.
- Remove from oven and move a plate. If using jalapeno sprinkle with additional, chopped bacon and cilantro.
You can garnish with anything you choose! It’s very versatile.
Now for your entertainment. We all love cats so here is a funny picture of my cat Pepper in the pantry! I opened the door and must have woken him up… not sure how long he was in here!