A Bell Pepper Egg in a Hole is a simple and quick breakfast. This healthy and nutritious breakfast can be made even quicker by slicing the bell peppers in advance the night before!
An egg in a hole is simply as it sounds an egg in a hole. It really does not matter what the egg goes inside as long as the egg can cook in it. Typically I have had egg in a hole with toast. You make a circle on the inside of the bread so there is a hole and toast it slightly in the pan and then crack an egg in the middle, flipping once. This is bell pepper egg in a hole is very similar, however, you can skip the bread!
There comes a point when summer ends when I feel like I just ate way too much bread. Between outdoor BBQ’s with the buns, sandwiches for the beach and so on I felt like I wanted to make a conscious effort to eat less bread. You should try to eat less too! One way of doing that is to have an open face or remove the bread all together and serve your burger over a bed of greens, not a bad idea.
You could also cook your egg inside of an avocado in the oven, inside a tomato (scoop out seeds), or any vegetable that is round and would be a good vessel to hold the egg. My favorite so far is this Bell Pepper Egg in a Hole.
Bell Pepper Egg in a Hole
- 1 small bell pepper, sliced into rings (remove seeds and white part of pepper)
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper
- non-stick spray or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 peach sliced
- 2 tablespoons avocado (optional)
- Heat a medium saute pan over medium heat. Once hot add butter or spray with non-stick spray. Put 2 slices of bell pepper in the pan and cook for about 3 minutes on the side that is down.
- Flip the bell pepper pieces and crack an egg carefully in the center. Season with salt and pepper and let cook, about another 3 minutes. Once the egg has formed to the bell pepper and set flip the egg in the holes one last time to cook the top of the egg, about 1 minute.
- Remove from pan carefully with a spatula and served with a sliced peach and 2 tablespoons of avocado if desired.
*Cooking times may vary depending on thickness of bell pepper slice and temperature of pan*
Happy First Day of September everyone! Enjoy with a Bell Pepper Egg in a hole for breakfast or even lunch!
Visit Hunters Healthy Kitchen on Facebook!!
LIKE IT so I know you stopped by!