Chicken cutlets that are grilled and topped with fresh red and yellow tomatoes, basil, mozzarella cheese, red onion and balsamic vinegar.
When tomatoes come in season my family makes caprese salads and bruschetta all the time. With this recipe I added the tomato, basil, mozzarella to grilled chicken, a good source of protein, and makes this a quick and easy weeknight meal.
The tomato basil mozzarella mixture make for a delicious sauce/topping for grilled chicken. Tomatoes are in full swing in my garden and I have been using them up in salads as well as giving some away. This week I am in Santa Monica on vacation and we went to the Santa Monica Farmers Market and they had the most amazing tomatoes!
Since I had an abundance of tomatoes in my garden at home I did not want all of them to be given away while I was in California so I decided to bring some with me. We put as many tomatoes that would fit in a large size plastic container and carried it on the plane in a backpack and it turns out that there are no regulations on tomatoes on domestic flights. We also brought two zucchini and two jalapeños which they questioned in a bag search but ultimately let them go through!
*Tomatoes from my garden above*
I love to make this Grilled Chicken with Tomato Basil Mozzarella recipe with juicy red and yellow grape tomatoes but heirloom tomatoes would also work cut in a medium dice.
This is truly one of those dishes from my kitchen that just screams summer.
Grilled Chicken with Tomato Basil Mozzarella
- 1.2 pounds thinly sliced chicken breast (about 6-8)
- 1 pint red and yellow cherry tomatoes or tomatoes of choice (heirloom, on the vine), halved and quartered or diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- fresh basil chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- kosher salt and course ground black pepper
- half a ball of mozzarella cheese, diced
- Combine chopped red onion, garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and pepper. Fold in the chopped tomatoes, basil and lastly add the diced mozzarella cheese right before serving. (If want to make a head of time mix everything accept for cheese, then add before serving).
- Preheat grill to high heat. While grill is heating salt and pepper both sides of the chicken cutlets. Grill for 2-3 minutes per side until grill marks form and the chicken lifts on its own, or until cooked through.
- Remove from grill and on to a serving platter, spoon the tomato basil and mozzarella mixture over the chicken before serving.
Adapted from Skinny Taste
Prefer a fried chicken cutlet? See last years home made Chicken Cutlet Recipe with Tomato Balsamic salad here.