A garden green bean and cherry tomato salad that is made with a bright and zesty vinaigrette of herbs, shallots, lemon zest and extra virgin olive oil. I combine two summer vegetables for a healthy summer salad.
Serve this delicious Green Bean and Cherry Tomato Salad with any grilled piece of protein such as chicken, steak, fish or next to a hamburger. The freshness from the herbs will add a light flavor that grilled food pairs very well with. I served this recipe at a my 4th of July BBQ but did not get to post it until today. It was a big hit, especially if you are able to say you used ingredients from your garden.
Tomato season is rapidly approaching and I wanted to include in this post some health benefits that come from eating raw tomatoes.
- One medium tomato (approximately 123 grams) provides 22 calories, 0 grams of fat, 5 grams of carbohydrate (including 1 gram of fiber and 3 grams of sugar) and 1 gram of protein.
- Tomatoes are a rich source of vitamins A and C and folic acid. Tomatoes contain a wide array of beneficial nutrients and antioxidants, including alpha-lipoic acid, lycopene, choline, folic acid, beta-carotene and lutein.
- Alpha-lipoic acid helps the body to convert glucose into energy.
- Skin: Collagen, the skins support system, is reliant on vitamin C as an essential nutrient that works in our bodies as an antioxidant
- Constipation: Eating foods that are high in water content and fiber like tomatoes can help to keep you hydrated and your bowel movements regular.
Need some tomato inspiration from last years recipes? Here are some ideas!
Over the next few months you will see many different tomato recipes but most of them will be salads that are raw. Eating tomatoes raw is the best way to preserve the antioxidants that are prevalent in them. In my garden we are growing roma tomatoes, kumat black tomatoes, golden cherry tomatoes, red cherry tomatoes, and yellow heirloom. So you will see many different variations of recipes, I am looking forward to a Chilled Gazpacho.
Anyone have recipes they are looking forward to making with tomatoes?
If you love seasonal and fresh foods you will really enjoy this Green Bean and Cherry Tomato Salad. Here is the recipe below.
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot (1 small shallot)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (1 lemon)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (1 or 2 lemons)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- handful of parsley and basil, chopped fine (about 1/4 cup total)
- 1 pounds green beans, ends trimmed, cut in half
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved, red and yellow
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a high boil. Once boiling add the trimmed green beans for 3 to 4 minutes until tender but still crisp. Drain and rinse under cold water to stop cooking process. Set aside.
- While the water is boiling and green beans are cooking make the vinaigrette and half the tomatoes.
- In the bottom of a large bowl whisk together the dressing by combining chopped shallot, lemon zest, salt, pepper, lemon juice, herbs and extra virgin olive oil.
- Toss the tomatoes and the blanched green beans in the large bowl and move to serving platter.
- Can be made up to 2 hours in advance, toss before serving.
- Use herbs you have on hand