A delicious way to prepare steak using ground coffee and other spices. This Spiced Coffee Rubbed Steak will add a some flavor to the crust of your steak and is an excellent option for grilling this summer.
You probably have most of these ingredients in your pantry and could make this rub to add to your steaks for the 4th of July on Saturday. Make a few with the rub and a few without and see which people prefer!
Many people think that coffee is just for drinking, at least thats what I thought. However, coffee can be used as a secret ingredient in many different dishes. One of the reasons I love this Spiced Coffee Rubbed Steak is the flavor of smoke and heat that it adds to your cut of steak. Because coffee is so versatile you can also add some in to your brownie batter which is supposed to enhance the flavor – yum! I also add ground coffee in to my chocolate flavor protein shakes which adds a mocha flavor.
A seasoning like this Spiced Coffee Rubbed Steak is a great way to add flavor as well as tenderize inexpensive cuts of meats. I used a cut of meat that was rather inexpensive and did not have a bone. A bone usually helps keep beef tender as well as flavorful. In this case I did not miss the bone because the coffee acted as a tenderizer as it sat before the steak was grilled. You can use this on any cut.
Serve this Spiced Coffee Rubbed steak with my Red Potato Salad with Herbs and Dijon Mustard to complete your meal. We also tried grilling brussel sprouts in a grill basket for the first time and the result was great. The brussel sprouts are slightly charred on the outside yet still tender and delicious on the inside. If you haven’t tried grilling brussel sprouts yet please do they are great and of course easy.
Finally the recipe to this Spiced Coffee Rubbed Steak.
- Your favorite cut of steak (flank, skirt, rib-eye, etc.)
- 1/4 cup of fine ground coffee
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- Olive oil to help the rub adhere.
- Mix all of the rub ingredients together in a small bowl and transfer to a plate.
- Rub the steak with olive oil to help the rub stick.
- Cover the steak with the rub until all sides have rub on it and it is well coated.
- Let sit with rub for up one hour.
- Preheat grill to high heat and grill the steaks about 3-5 minutes on each side to medium rare depending on thickness of your steak.
- Remove from grill and tent with tin foil for 10 minutes.
- Serve and slice against the grain if necessary.
- Let the meat come to room temperature before grilling.
- Rub should cover 3-4 medium-large steaks.
*If you are receiving this by email click the link to see the full recipe*
Sharing is caring, forward this to a friend who would like it!
Don’t forget to FOLLOW Hunters Healthy Kitchen!!