This Healthy Broccoli and Chicken Quinoa bake is the perfect healthy weeknight meal that will keep you full longer! The quinoa and chicken makes this dish high in protein and the creaminess of this casserole makes it a great addition to your weeknight meal rotation. It’s SO easy.
A casserole is one of my favorite meals to eat because it has everything you need in one dish. With this Broccoli and Chicken Quinoa bake you have green vegetables, chicken, and quinoa which is the grain. You might think casserole and think – canned soup – not fresh food. However, many casseroles can be made with fresh ingredients to elevate what was once a beloved meal by families.
If you are a fan of casseroles or have never tried it you will still love this Healthy Broccoli and Chicken Quinoa Bake recipe. As a child growing up I did not eat a lot of casserole dishes. My dinners consisted of a lot of vegetables and a protein, some nights we included a starch like couscous. I think that’s why I am such a fan of the one pot dish that remixes classic american dinners.
Another Casserole Dish:
Quinoa and Chicken Enchilada Bake. It is heavenly! Check it out if you love one pot meals and Mexican flavors.
I originally found this Healthy Broccoli and Chicken Quinoa Bake recipe on Pinterest, where all great things are found. The recipe is courtesy Pinch of Yum, whose blog posts great recipes as well as resources for food bloggers who are just starting out.
Check out my Pinterest board for great inspiration on healthy recipes, lifestyle and gardening!
- 1 pound skinless boneless thin sliced chicken breasts
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups water, divided
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup of milk (2% or whatever you have)
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (any type will work)
- kosher salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick spray generously, the sides may stick.
- Bring the chicken broth and 1/2 a cup of milk to a low boil in a medium sauce pan. In a separate bowl whisk the remaining 1/2 cup of milk with 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning and the flour, add this mixture to the boiling liquid and whisk together until a smooth and creamy sauce forms.
- In a large bowl mix the sauce from step 2, 1 cup of water, and the quinoa. Stir to combine and pour into prepared baking dish.
- Slice the chicken into thin strips and lay over the top of the quinoa sauce mixture (do not stir). Sprinkle with the remaining 1 teaspoon of poultry seasoning and bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- While the dish is baking place fresh broccoli florets in in boiling water for about 1 minute until they are bright green and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and check consistency, it might need to bake for an additional 10-20 minutes until the quinoa and chicken is cooked and the sauce has thickened. Once it is at a good consistency add the broccoli and a splash of water so you can stir the pan.
- Top with 1/4 cup of cheese and bake for additional 5 minutes until cheese is melted.
Sharing is caring, forward this to a friend who would like it!
Don’t forget to FOLLOW Hunters Healthy Kitchen!!