Surprise your mom this Mother’s Day and make her brioche french toast with berry compote for breakfast in bed. Skip your usual breakfast destination and make it yourself with this Brioche French Toast with Berry Compote. I love to make breakfast at home and am always in search of ways to make it a little more exciting – and restaurant like.
There are so many variations you can do french toast, it’s a really great vehicle to your favorite toppings or fruit. I love fresh berries so I decided to try and make a compote on the stove top with strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, fresh orange juice, and a pinch of sugar. Berries have a lot of natural sweetness and one way to make this recipe a tiny bit healthier is to use less sugar in your compote. I have seen recipes with a whole cup! That is just way too sweet – agave or honey would be great as well.
For the bread: I decided to make this special and use challah because I could not find brioche in the store. They are similar and made with a lot of eggs. If you wanted to use whole wheat toast you could use that as well. Any white bread, whole wheat, challah or brioche would work. Since this is Mother’s Day you can make it extra special with a nice loaf of brioche.
Some other great toppings could be bananas, shredded coconut, chia seeds, walnuts, or even pure maple syrup! You don’t have to stick to this recipe, be creative!
Brioche French Toast with Berry Compote
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of low fat milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 challah or brioche loaf cut into 1/2-1 inch thick slices – not including end piece (1 piece per person – cut in half when cooked)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups fresh mixed berries (blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries)
- a pinch of sugar OR agave OR honey (use what you have)
- 2 tablespoon fresh orange juice + 1 teaspoon of orange zest
- Garnish: confectioner’s sugar for dusting
What to do:
- Prepare French Toast: Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Whisk together eggs, milk, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt. Pour into a large baking pan and place bread slices in pan for a few minutes on each side (do not over soak might fall apart).
- While bread is soaking preheat your pan with 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat.
- Prepare the berry compote: In a small sauce pan place the 3 cups of berries, orange juice, zest and sweetener of choice. Over low-medium heat let berries reduce stir every couple minutes. Berries should form a sauce with a little bit of thickness to it.
- When butter is melted in pan carefully transfer soaked bread into skillet and cook until golden brown (about 4 minutes on each side may take longer). Transfer to a baking pan and move to oven to keep warm while you cook the rest of the bread in batches. Add more butter as needed. May take several batches – do not overcrowd.
- Once all batches are done remove french toast from the oven cut in half and stack on top of each other, spoon berry compote over top and garnish with confectioner’s sugar and a few pieces of fresh fruit.
Serve with fresh squeezes orange juice and enjoy!!!
Happy Mother’s Day!
Don’t forget to follow Hunter’s Healthy Kitchen on: