This Biscuit Pot Pie uses flaky biscuits as the crust topping and healthier sweet potatoes as well as the traditional vegetables you will find in any good pot pie.
This is comfort food and one of my all time favorites! 🙂
Biscuit Pot Pie is something I have been wanting to try and make for a while now. I did not make my own biscuits for this recipe but next time I will definitely try to! I hear it’s not too difficult. The main reason I did not make my own is because of lack of time. Instead, I used the low-fat biscuits you find in dairy section – and they were still great!
While doing research to prepare for this recipe I thought of using sweet potatoes instead of traditional russet or red. I did not see a lot of recipes using sweet potatoes but I think that it added a great flavor and healthy aspect to the dish! Besides sweet potato I used carrots, celery, peas, onions, and I had half a squash so last minute I threw that in there – yum!
The only downside to the sweet potato is as I’m sure your aware of is that they take a long time to cook. You have to be sure to give time to cook your potatoes at a low simmer with the carrots, onions, and celery – until tender! If you do this your sweet potatoes will be perfect in the Biscuit Pot Pie. I also used chicken that I had leftover from making stock for my Matzo Ball Soup. Half of the chicken went into the soup and the other half in to a container so I could re-purpose it for a new recipe!
If you are a fan of classic Chicken Pot Pie you have to try this Biscuit Pot Pie… you are missing out!
What you need:
- 2 1/2 cups of shredded chicken (you could use rotisserie chicken if you want)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium chopped onion
- about 4 diced carrots
- 3 or 4 sliced in half and diced into small pieces
- 2 small sweet potatoes peeled and diced to the same size of the carrots
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- half a green squash diced (optional)
- about 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 cup of milk (plus a little more if needed)
- 3-4 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 can (16.3 0z) Pillsbury Grands! Flaky Low-Fat Biscuits
What to do:
- Heat a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the butter and olive oil. Add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes. Next add the sweet potato and saute for another minute and add the celery and carrots. Cook for another 10 minutes until sweet potatoes begin to soften.
- Add 2 cups of chicken broth and thyme and bring to simmer. Add the green squash and frozen peas, cover and cook until sweet potato are tender (about 10 more minutes).
- While the sweet potato is cooking whisk together the milk and flour. It should be a little thick.
- When sweet potato is tender stir in the shredded chicken. Next mix in the milk-flour mixture and the filling should begin to thicken. (If it looks like it needs to be a little thicker add a little more milk and a little more flour).
- If making a head stop here and pour into a 9×13 baking dish cover and refrigerate. If you are going to bake it now preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the biscuits over the top of the filling mixture should be enough to cover the top of the pot pie.
- Bake for about 12-15 minutes. Check biscuits at 12 and make sure they are not over cooking. Take out and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
- This makes nice leftovers the biscuits soften nicely in the microwave – if you are lucky enough to have leftovers!
Serving Size: 1 Biscuit Per Person
What’s you favorite way to eat Chicken Pot Pie?