Quinoa Enchilada Casserole:
A healthier version of an Enchilada, skip the tortilla, and packed with the healthy nutrients you need from the quinoa and black bean!!
I found this recipe on Pinterest, occasionally I will search for recipe inspiration when I start to get sick of the same old thing. Although in this recipe I added chicken for extra protein it is far from a boring chicken dish. Every bite is packed with big flavor from the enchilada sauce, cilantro, and cheesy goodness!
The quinoa is a grain that you might not be too familiar with but is packed with fiber and protein. The quinoa takes place of the tortilla from the enchiladas and you don’t have to roll anything simply mix it all in a bowl and then you can bake it in the oven. I also love this recipe because you can make it in advance and leave it in the refrigerator before you finish it off in the oven to bake all the cheese and let the flavors come together.
Here’s What you Need:
- 2 cups of roasted chicken thighs shredded
- 1 cup of cooked quinoa according to package
- 1 (10 ounce ) can Mild Enchilada Sauce
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
- 1/2 cup of canned corn drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup of black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 heaping tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup of shredded Mexican cheese blend plus a little Mozzarella cheese
- Additional cheese for topping
- 1 avocado cubed for garnish
What to do:
- Cook the quinoa according to package 1 cup of quinoa in 2 cup of water, according to package (should yield 2 cups). Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Roast chicken thighs with olive oil, salt and pepper for 20 minutes or until cooked through. Set aside and shred when cool.
- If baking the casserole right away Preheat oven to 375, if not wait until your ready to eat. Coat a 8×8 baking dish with non-stick spray
- Assemble mixture in a large bowl: chicken, quinoa, enchilada sauce, green chiles, corn, black beans, cumin, chili powder, cilantro, and stir in half a cup of shredded cheese.
- Spread quinoa mixture into baking dish and top with remaining cheese. Bake in oven for 15-25 minutes until cheese has melted and it is slightly browned.
- Serve with a tablespoon of chopped avocado.
This dish makes great leftovers! Yum! It make a lot and I was eating it all week!
Quinoa and Chicken Enchilada Recipe is courtesy of Damn Delicious. Check this blog out.
Enjoy this hearty dish!