Oven-Roasted Broccoli with Parmesan Bread Crumbs: more side dishes! I love having endless side dish option, each one a little different. Broccoli is one of my favorite vegetables. When cooked properly it can be super delicious and nutritious.
If available, fresh vegetables are always better than frozen. I find that roasting vegetables is one of my favorite ways to serve broccoli. You don’t need to roast them to a crisp and remove all the nutritious value to get the flavors that roasting gives. The Barefoot Contessa is always roasting vegetables on her show and I love that. She understands how easy and simple it is. You don’t need to blanch your vegetables before roasting as many recipes online call for.
This recipe Oven-Roasted Broccoli with Parmesan Bread Crumbs uses parmesan and Italian breadcrumbs to add some flavor and crunch to this delicious and tasty dish. The key to cooking vegetables perfectly is to not over cook them. I hate when that happens. You just need to take a little bit of the bite and rawness out of the vegetables and then it is perfect. This is also important because you leave more of the nutritious value that is in the raw vegetable. As you keep cooking it the nutrition goes away.
Serve this with your favorite protein for dinner like Salmon (see here for the best salmon seasoning), turkey meatloaf, or a steak.
I love this because of the zingy parmesan that adds a nice salty flavor and breadcrumbs which gives the broccoli a little bit of texture. Make this the next time someone calls your broccoli boring. 😛
What you need:
- 2 heads of broccoli, stems removed and cut into small pieces
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- garlic powder to taste
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- While oven is preheating prepare broccoli and rinse with water in a colander. Pat dry broccoli and place on a baking tray.
- Pour olive oil over broccoli and mix to coat. Once coated sprinkle over parmesan and breadcrumbs. By using the olive oil first this allows the cheese and breadcrumbs to stick to the broccoli. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder to finish
- Roast for 15-20 minutes until slightly browned but still tender. Serve with your favorite protein for dinner.